Articles & Information


Why study in UK after O Levels?

You have just finished your O Levels and are planning for your next study options. The majority of Singaporeans will stay on in Singapore to study at a Junior College, Polytechnic, ITE.  However, there is a steady and growing number of Singaporeans who are choosing to study in UK after O levels. Why UK, you might ask?

There are a variety of reasons why you should consider to study in UK. Some of these reasons might be exclusively academic for you. But in addition to the quality education, you will gain a lot of value from this unique experience if you choose to study in UK. Let’s take a closer look.

Past articles: What to do after O levels? JCs and Polys are not the only way out.

study in uk after o levels london tube
London Tube

Academic Benefits

The academic benefits are probably the main reason why choosing to study in UK could be the best decision you take in your life. In 2017, 7935 Singaporeans studied in the UK for either an undergraduate or postgraduate degree.

The UK and its hundreds of universities have an acknowledged reputation for academic excellence. You can consistently find UK universities ranked highly in publications by The Complete University Guide, Guardian, Sunday & Times as well as QS . The most famous ones you hear about are University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, Imperial College London, Durham University, University of Sheffield, London School of Economics, University College London. You can also literally find any course you want in the UK and you will find at least one (likely more) schools that will help you excel in your area of expertise.

Fun Fact: Did you know that British scientists and institutions have won almost 131 Nobel Prizes? The first U.K. Nobel Prize winner was Ronald Ross who won the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1902.

Work opportunities

For students who want to earn a bit of pocket money to supplement their monthly expenses, the good news is that you are allowed to work while you study in UK during university. During the regular academic year, you are permitted to work part-time up to 20 hours per week.

Those seeking further work experiences can apply for a sandwich course. Your university will help you find employment during your third or fourth year of study in UK. Most local employers in Singapore value overseas practical experience so this will give you a leg up over your peers when you return to Singapore.

Related articles: NS Deferment to study overseas after O levels in Singapore

study in uk after o levels glasgow
Shopping street in Glasgow

Shorter Education Duration

UK degrees generally take less time to attain than degrees in other countries. Where other countries take at least four years for an undergraduate degree and two years for a postgraduate degree, British universities only take three years for an undergraduate degree and one year for a postgraduate (unless you are in research, then it may take 18 months to 2 years). That means that you are spending less money overall.

On top of that, there is a lot of scholarships and grants available from UK universities or certain institutions. Over 20,000 international students have gotten financial aid from the UK government.

The application requirements and amount awarded vary from university to university every year. It is advisable to search for scholarship information directly from the university website for the latest offers.

Gateway to Europe

If you want to travel across Europe, the UK is the place to be. In the United Kingdom alone, you can travel to Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland and learn about the different backgrounds and lifestyles in each country. Public transportation makes it simple to travel the entire United Kingdom and take in the sights and sounds. As a student, you can receive special rates for transportation when you buy monthly passes.

Related articles: Study in USA after O levels in Singapore

Those same public transportation routes can be utilized to reach the rest of Europe. The Channel (English Channel Tunnel) can take you right into mainland Europe within a day. You can obtain public transportation passes for the countries close to the UK, and you can explore wherever you want on the continent. Just make sure you have the necessary paperwork to do so (passports), and take the time you’ll have on weekends and long breaks in order to take in the sights and sounds of the rest of mainland Europe.

study in uk after o levels manchester united
Football match at Manchester United, Old Traford

Study in UK with a Student Visa

In order to stay in the UK as an international student, you must have a student visa.  Singapore is classified as a low-risk country which makes getting a UK student visa incredibly easy.  Nonetheless, it can be daunting if you don’t know where to start. Global Study Abroad simplify it for you by hand-holding you every step of the way.

A student visa in the UK is called Tier 4 visa. There are two types of  Tier 4 visas:

  • Tier 4 (General) –   For students
  • Tier 4 (Child) – For children aged 4 to 17

Global Study Abroad provides visa assistance to all our students who intends to depart for their in UK after O levels. Visa assistance provided by Global Study Abroad will provide you a step-by-step guide and face-to-face assistance free of charge. You will learn the steps and documents you’ll need to prepare for before you head to the visa application centre.

Pre-university education after O levels

Students are not allowed to progress to university programmes directly after O levels to study in UK. Unlike Singapore where many students choose either the Junior College or Polytechnic route before entering university, UK offers Foundation Year programmes where you can study specialised pathways like Business or Engineering. This course is typically 8 months or 3 terms in duration and upon successful completion, students can then apply directly to the linked undergraduate programme. An example of Foundation program in UK would be Bellerbys College.

Take a look at Global Study Abroad’s Foundation/University Preparation page for more information.

Degree recognition in Singapore

A degree in law or medicine in the UK commands a level of recognition second to none. However, before dedicating yourself to 3 to 6 years of undergraduate programme, it is vital know your professional degree in certain areas are recognised by the respective professional bodies in Singapore. For example, a person who intends to be a vet should know that the overseas degree must be recognised by the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority in Singapore.

Law – Ministry of Law

Architecture – Board of Architecture

Engineering – Professional Engineering Board

Accountancy – Singapore Accountancy Commission

Medicine – Singapore Medical Council

Dentistry – Singapore Dental Council

Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy – Aliied Health Professions Council

Veterinary – Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority

Psychology – The British Psychological Society

Do not wait to plan for your future! Plan early! There are intakes to study in UK available in September every year for all undergraduate degrees. For Foundation programmes, there are typically 3 intakes per year. If you are interested to find more about how to study in UK after O levels, enquire with us at Global Study Abroad. Together we can plan your future for the optimal route to get you your degree. If you are interested to check out our Facebook page, please click here.

Enquiry Form


University of Aberdeen Undergraduate Scholarship for Singapore and International Students

Global Study Abroad is proud to have been working hand in hand with University of Aberdeen in their international student recruitment efforts over the years. Our recent activity has extended beyond student recruitment to include hosting of their medical interviews and alumni in Singapore.


university of aberdeen medicine interview singapore

*Briefing by University of Aberdeen medical school faculty prior to the interview


As part of University of Aberdeen’s commitment to attracting the very best students from countries such as Singapore to join their diverse international community, the university will be offering the University of Aberdeen International Undergraduate Scholarship. This scholarship is worth one year’s tuition fee and is open to all international undergraduate students studying for at least 4 years or more at the University of Aberdeen. Please note that this scholarship excludes Medicine and Dentistry.


Related Read: University of Aberdeen


City and University of Aberdeen have an excellent track record in welcoming international students. They aim to make the Aberdeen experience the best you can have anywhere and to be accessible to students from Singapore and across the world. They have also taken bold new steps to further enhance the student experience on offer to students, by investing heavily into new facilities and resources that will benefit all, and by revolutionising their curriculum to modernise the structure, content, delivery and flexibility of Aberdeen degrees to to ensure they match the needs of graduates and employer.


university of aberdeen alumni

* Sharing by Aberdeen alumni with potential students


What does this mean?

If you are an international student entering into an undergraduate degree programme of at least four years duration, University of Aberdeen will offer a scholarship equivalent to the tuition fee in your fourth year. If you are studying a five year degree (excludes Medicine and Dentistry), the scholarship will be applied in your fifth year.



  • You must be applying for undergraduate study beginning in September 2019

  • You should be classed as international for the purposes of tuition fees

  • The scholarship cannot be deferred to September 2020, it only applies to eligible students starting in September 2019


university of aberdeen graduands alumni singapore

How to apply

  • You will be considered for and notified of the University of Aberdeen International Undergraduate Scholarship as part of the application process. There is no need for an additional application form

Terms & Conditions

For a list of terms and conditions, please click here.


If you will like to know more about University of Aberdeen and its Scholarship or Foundation programmes, enquire with us at Global Study Abroad. We provide FREE education consulting for Singaporean students looking to study overseas. Let us help you with your overseas study options!


Get up! Get Out!

(Source: University of Aberdeen)


Enquiry Form


NS Deferment – What you need to know?

Do you need to apply for NS deferment to study overseas? Firstly, please be aware that male citizens of Singapore (and if you remain committed to doing so!) are required to follow the Enlistment Act from age 13 onwards. Secondly, any breaches to the Enlistment Act and regulations on Exit Permit would lead to a fine or imprisonment. Some serious stuff here!


For all male Singaporeans who have yet to serve your NS obligations, you will be required to at least apply for an Exit Permit if you intend to study overseas for duration of 3 months or longer. NS deferment would also depends on your age and duration of the course you will be undertaking.


There are a few things you will need to take note of if you are looking to apply for NS deferment for overseas studies. We have listed some below for your information:


1. Age and duration of course

If you are between the age of 13 to 16.5 year old and seeking to study overseas for a duration of in between 3 months to less than 2 years, all you will need to do is to apply for an exit permit to seek for NS deferment. However if the course you are enrolling into is longer than 2 years, on top of the exit permit, a bond will need to be provided. For age above 16.5 seeking to study overseas for 3 months or longer,  both exit permit and bond will be required.


Related Read: Why Study in USA after O-levels in Singapore?


2. Level of education

Students with N levels, O levels, NITEC and Higher NITEC can be eligible to seek for NS deferment. Students who have already attained A-levels, Polytechnic Diploma or equivalent overseas education would not be eligible for NS deferment. NS deferment would not be approved for entry into universities.


ns deferment army backpack helmet

3. Bond for NS deferment

A bond is typically in the form of a banker’s guarantee provided by your parents. S$75,000 is the minimum your parents will need to provide. However, If 50% of your parents combined annual gross income exceeds S$75,000, they would have to provide the banker’s guarantee using the higher amount. For example, if your mum’s gross income is $600,000 and your dad’s gross income is $400,000, total would be $1,000,000. Your parents would have to post 50% of $1,000,000 or $500,000 as a banker’s guarantee. NS deferment would not be approved if the bond cannot be provided.


Related Read: What to do after your O-levels? JCs and Polys are not the only way


4. Acceptance into course

You will need to provide evidence (e.g letter of offer) that you have been accepted into the course that you are applying into. Usually, the evidence will accompany details such as the course of study, commencement and completion dates.


If you will like to know more about NS deferment, enquire with us at Global Study Abroad. We provide FREE education consulting for Singaporean students looking to study overseas. Let us help you with your overseas study options!


Get up! Get Out!

(Source: CMPB)


Enquiry Form


Why study in USA after O-Levels?

You might be thinking of your next study option after O levels. It is typical for Singaporeans to only consider local routes: Junior College or Poly. Now let’s just pause to think a bit. Aren’t there other better options? Perhaps not locally but why not overseas? Why not consider study in USA?


Trivia #1: Do you know which side of the road cars drive on in USA?


Answer: Right-hand traffic or right side of the road. Well, the Americans tend to think that they are right about everything, isn’t it? Even the roads.


Below are some of the reason why your should consider to study in USA after O-levels:


1. World-class universities

Some of the world’s top universities are located in USA. Those that you have heard before might include Harvard University, Stanford, Princeton, Yale, UC Berkeley and UCLA. If you stop to ponder a little bit more and names like USC, Chicago, Illinois, Washington, Boston, New York and Hawaii would pop up in your mind as well. These universities would not accept students directly into the degree courses using your O levels. However, there are many options to progress into these universities after O levels in Singapore. A viable progression option would be through community college such as De Anza College, Green River College, Diablo Valley College, El Camino College, Seattle College and San Jose City College. These options also offer affordable tuition rates as opposed to direct entry into USA universities.



2. No SAT required

Must you take SAT to begin your study in USA? The answer is No.




3. Graduate ahead of your peers

It only takes you 4 years to graduate with a recognised degree in USA after O levels. You hear me right! Only 4 years. For guys with NS obligation to fulfil in Singapore, it is also the same duration.


Trivia #2: Do you know USA is made up of how many states?


Answer: 52. That’s a lot isn’t it. There are some countries with more.



4. Flexibility

USA is not only known for its quality of education, but it is also highly known for its variety of degree offerings and flexible education system. Some of the most popular programmes of study include Business, Computer Science, Hospitality, Engineering, Media, Education, HealthScience and Performing Arts. The first and second year of university comprises of mostly core curriculum modules that are related to science, humanities, language, etc. Technically, you don’t really have to choose a major until your Junior year (3rd year of 4-year university). So if you are still clueless about what you really want to major in after O levels, study in USA would afford you some time to explore further and think about what you really want as a career.




5. Greater exposure and diverse campus life

Compared to Singapore, USA is a much bigger country with a much bigger population. It is the world’s largest economy with a bigger market. USA is home to many multinational companies. For example in California state, San Jose and San Francisco area is home to companies such as Apple, EBay, Google, Intel and Oracle. In Washington state, Seattle is home to Amazon and Microsoft. These companies attracts the best brains to USA and ther is no better way to get involved in all these action by going around there. You may want to also try to find work in USA. International students are eligible for optional practical training (OPT) and can legally work in USA after completing their degree.


Get yourself immersed into the culture. There are various clubs and societies that you can join. You can also take part in sporting activities such as Soccer, Basketball, Golf, Tennis, etc. USA has many tourist hotspots and why not make time to travel during summer or winter breaks to learn more about the country and what they have to offer.


Trivia #3: Do you know which USA territory is furthest from the Mainland USA?


Answer: Guam. Well, it is nearer to the Philippines and much of South East Asia than Hawaii or anywhere else in the Mainland USA.



Do not wait to plan your future! There are intakes available in Spring (March/April), Summer (June) and Fall (August/September). If you are interested to find more about study in USA after O levels, enquire with us at Global Study Abroad. Together we can plan your future for the optimal route to get you your degree.


Enquiry Form


Poly Diploma to Law Degree in UK

By Global Study Abroad, Singapore

07 November 2018


Get a law degree from a recognised UK  university with your Poly diplomaGood news, Poly students! You can use your Poly Diploma to apply for the University of Nottingham and the University of Birmingham Law LLB program in UK. Successful applicants are admitted into year 1 of the law degree program. Both universities are recognised by the Ministry of Law.



Law degree in UK


University of Nottingham Law Degree – Poly Diploma GPA of at least 3.2 + good LNAT score + minimum IELTS 7.0 (with scores of no less than 7.0 in each section)

University of Birmingham Law Degree – Poly Diplomas are accepted on a case by case basis + IELTS 7.0 overall


IELTS is a standardised English language proficiency test. If you do not meet the minimum IELTS requirement, you can take pre sessional English courses at the UK university before enrolling in your studies. You do not have to take their IELTS again after completing pre sessional English courses.


LNAT test law degree


What is LNAT? The LNAT is a National Admissions Test for Law used by UK universities to assess applicants into their law schools. It is designed to test a candidate’s aptitude rather than educational achievement and measures important reasoning skills that are required in the field of law – comprehension, interpretation, induction, deduction, analysis and synthesis.

It consists of two sections, 42 multiple choice questions on given passages and an essay question. Results for the multiple choice section will be released and a good score is typically within the range of 25-28.

IMPORTANT: If you intend to study law degree in the UK note that the LNAT can only be taken once per application cycle, so if you take the test more than once, the later sitting’s results will be voided. You should also register for the LNAT as soon as possible and take it before 1 September (UCAS Applications). LNAT must be taken within the same year as the applications, meaning that if you took the LNAT last year, the results would not be considered for this year’s applications and you would have to resit the test.


If you want to apply for the university the same year you get your Poly diploma (ie. year 3), you should register and take the LNAT before officially receiving your Poly diploma. For Singaporean guys, it is recommended that you finish your national service before applying for UK university. *Each UK university has their own criteria for assessing applicants and decisions made are entirely up to the university’s discretion. 


Not interested in degree in Law? The University of Nottingham and the University of Birmingham also accepts Poly diploma students into other disciplines. We also have Foundation programs such as with Bellerbys College in UK and University of Sydney in Australia. For more information, enquire with us today!


We can guide you on your applications to UK, USA, Canada, and many others! Global Study Abroad provides free consultation services. We offer scholarships and bursaries! For more information on entry requirements and application procedures, do drop us an email at or fill in the enquiry form below. We also welcome walk-in consultations. Study Abroad, Think Global!


Enquiry Form



Study overseas at Cardiff Sixth Form College

By Global Study Abroad, Singapore


02 November 2018


Cardiff Sixth Form College was founded in 2004. As a small, private tutorial college, we were dedicated to pioneering a new approach. Combining small class sizes, excellent teaching and individual attention for each student; we believed in nurturing potential – and the results were first class.


Cardiff has since been committed to ensure high academic outcomes for all students. The high student achievements over the years has made Cardiff Sixth Form College a popular destination for student from Singapore looking for options to study overseas after O levels. To achieve that, the college provides expert individual and small group tuition where required. Cardiff cultivates a culture of scholarship and a spirit of curiosity, created through inspiration and responsive teaching. A unique teaching approach of 8 hours of tuition for core A Level subjects is adopted. Close monitoring of progress is provided with additional support where needed along with flexible subject combination timetable. Cardiff also assists with the application process for university, including intensive coaching for interviews, tailored advice on personal statements and opportunities for work observation. This ensures that students can make the best out of their university of choice.



Courses available

A-Level Pathway:

  • Biology
  • Business Studies
  • Chemistry
  • Economics
  • English Literature
  • French
  • Geography
  • Government & Politics
  • History
  • Mathematics/Further Mathematics
  • Physics
  • Psychology

Age: 16-17 at the time of enrolment

Course length: 2 years or 18 months

Course start: August (Early intake), September, January (Fast track

Hours per week in class: Approximately 25

Academic entry requirements: A minimum of 6 GSCE/IGCSE passes (or equivalent qualifications) at grade A*, with A* grades in the subjects chosen for A Level.

English Language entry requirements: IELTS 6.5, GCSE English Language Grade A



We hope that this article has been helpful and informative in guiding your decision to study at Cardiff Sixth Form College. We offer Placement Test in Singapore for students looking to study at the college. Enquire about available Scholarships and application procedures with us.


For more information on study options after O levels etc., do drop us an email at or fill in the enquiry form below. We also welcome walk-in consultations. Global Study Abroad provides free consultation services and offer scholarships and bursaries.


Study Abroad, Think Global!




How to pass Visa Credibility Interview

By Global Study Abroad, Singapore

03 September 2018

International students applying for a UK Tier 4 student visa are expected to attend a short Visa Credibility Interview conducted by UK Visa and Immigration (UK VI). This interview assesses your genuine desire to study in the UK and English Language proficiency.

Conducted in English, this interview will either take place in person or through video call. Please ensure that you understand the interviewer’s accent, the connection between the call is clear and you understand the questions that are about to be asked of you before the interview commences. If you have issues hearing them clearly, please do raise it up so that they are aware as this is possibly due to a technical issue and not one of understanding.

Contents from your personal statement (Statement of Purpose), submitted during the application, will be covered during the interview. Choice of institution, post-study plans, funding and accommodation are some areas to note for the interview.

Here are some tips which may help you for the interview:

  • Explain clearly what other factors led you to applying for your course and institution of your choice
  • Demonstrate your focus relating to your academic and future career plans. It give you the opportunity to demonstrate how much research you have done before applying for the course and post-study plans.
  • Be detailed about the specific content of the course in relation to future employment including family business.
  • Demonstrate clearly how previous study might complement your next period of study.
  • Explain clearly the link between breaks you took between studies and work
  • The Home Office just need to be reassured of the funds and the source of financial support in place to help you for your duration of your course.
  • If your parents are supporting other children studying in the UK, ensure that the monthly maintenance amount required is available for each child. (UKVI may require further proof)
  • Have a plan of your accommodation upon arrival in the UK.

The report from the interview will be sent to the allocated visa officer who will then consider it alongside your visa application. You can then request an interview transcript upon completion. We recommend all students to do so. If you are called up for a second round of interview, it is possibly due to the interviewer having more questions pertaining to your first interview. If so, please ensure that you’re adequately prepared for the interview.


We hope that this article has been helpful and informative in guiding your decision.


For more information on the Visa Credibility interview, do drop us an email at or fill in the enquiry form below. We also welcome walk-in consultations. Global Study Abroad provides free consultation services and offer scholarships and bursaries.


Study Abroad, Think Global!




General Information on UK student visa

By Global Study Abroad, Singapore

03 September 2018

Registering for student visa is one of the essentials in applying to study abroad. This article aims to provide you with relevant information about UK student visa which will ease your application process.


There are 3 different types of student visa to be elaborated below:

1) Short-term study visa


This visa is eligible to Non-European Economic Area (EEA) students doing a short course of study in the UK. Other eligibility requirements include proof of acceptance to a UK institution and ability to pay for your return or onward trip.


Applicants under 18 should take heed of the additional requirements:

  • Having made arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK.
  • Have permission from your guardian or parent to study in the UK.

This visa allows you to do a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course and do a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad. However, this visa does not permit students to study at a state-funded school, work (including on a work placement or work experience) or carry out any business, extend this visa, bring family members with you (they must apply separately) or get public funds.


Duration of stay:

You will be allowed to stay in the UK for 6 months for any short course (including English language courses), or short period of research you will be doing if you’re 16 or over, and 11 months if you’re 16 or over and taking an English language course.



£97 – 6 Month Visa

£186 – 11 Month Visa

2) Tier 4 (Child) student visa

This visa is eligible for children aged between 4 and 17 and want to study at an independent school in the UK. Visa applicants must have a place on a course, have the consent of your parent or guardian, have enough money to cover all expenses, be from a country not in the EEA. Other eligibilities include having an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 institution and having enough money to support yourself and pay for your course.


Duration of stay:

Those aged under 16 are allowed to stay throughout the course duration (up to 6 years) and 4 months afterwards. Those aged 16 or 17 will also be allowed to stay throughout the course duration (up to 3 years) and 4 months afterwards.


This visa allows you to study at an independent school, apply from outside the UK and apply to extend your stay. However, visa holders also not allowed to study at an academy or a local authority-funded school or further education college, get public funds, take a full-time permanent job or self-employed, work as a doctor or dentist in training, work as a professional sportsperson or entertainer, settle in the UK on this visa or bring in family members (they must apply separately).


Visa holders aged 16 and above are allowed to work:

  • part-time during term for up to 10 hours per week
  • full-time during vacations
  • on a work placement as part of your course, (but not for more than 50% of your course time)
  • as a student union sabbatical officer for up to 2 years



3) Tier 4 (General) student visa

This visa is eligibility for students aged 16 and above who have been offered a place on a course, passed a secure English Language Test (SELT), have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course and not from a country outside the EEA. Other eligibilities include having an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 institution and having enough money to support yourself and pay for your course.


This visa allows you to study, work as a student union sabbatical officer, apply from inside or outside the UK, apply to extend your stay and work in most jobs. Visa holders are not allowed to get public funds, work in certain jobs such as a sports coach or study at an academy or a local authority-funded school.




Applicants are advised to apply for visa 3 months before the course commences. You will usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.


For more information with regards in studying in UK, please do drop us an email at or fill in the enquiry form below. Global Study Abroad provide free consultation services. We offer scholarships and bursaries!


Study Abroad, Think Global!



*Information correct as of date of publication, fees subject to revision by relevant authorities.

Source: GOV.UK



Excellent academic results for Kings’ students

By Global Study Abroad, Singapore

31 August 2018

King Education’s A Level and Advanced Level Foundation students has once again achieved excellent academic results.

Across all four colleges, two-thirds of Kings’ Advanced Level Foundation students achieved a Distinction or Merit (BBB or above). A Level results of Kings’ students were equally impressive. A* grades achieved were 75% above National Average while A* – A grades achieved were 44% above it.

Such outstanding results allow students to apply to UK’s top universities such as Oxford, Imperial College London and Lancaster from a huge variety of degree courses. 

Students are Kings’ top priority. They are committed to meet the needs of each student and ensure they achieve their full potential. Students’ cognitive ability is assessed, and predicted grades gained from national benchmarks. Kings’ students consistently achieve grades above these benchmarks, with 39% of those finishing their A-levels in 2018 exceeding their predictions by either 2 or 3 grades. Check out our latest article on Kings Education to find out more.

For more inquiries, please do drop us an email at or fill in the enquiry form below. Global Study Abroad provide free consultation services. We offer scholarships and bursaries!


Study Abroad, Think Global!




Post-study work rights for international students in New Zealand

By Global Study Abroad, Singapore

28 August 2018

Looking for an opportunity to advance your career upon graduation in a foreign land? New Zealand could be where you might find your fit.

New Zealand offers post-study work rights to international students after completing his/her studies. Accordingly, they are given the choice to work in New Zealand with an eligibility to apply for post-study work visa. Such opportunities give students an experience of working and adapting to life overseas. One key advantage of the post-study rights is that it is an “Open” concept. This means that their visa is not linked to any employer. This allows them to work in any job, for any employer, anywhere in New Zealand.


Recent changes (with effect from 26 Nov 2018) to the post-study work rights will benefit international students and employers by contributing skills and qualifications that New Zealand needs. Here are some new guidelines for the post-study work visa:


  • Three-year post-study open work visa for degree Level 7 or above qualifications
  • One-year post-study open work visa for students studying Level 4 to 6 and non-degree Level 7 qualifications with an additional year for Graduate Diploma graduates who are working towards registration with a professional or trade body
  • Two-year post-study open work visa for students studying Level 4 to 6 and non-degree Level 7 qualifications outside Auckland, provided study is completed by December 2021, at which point the entitlement for post-study work rights reverts to a one-year post-study open work visa for students studying Level 4 to 6 and non-degree Level 7 qualifications with an additional year for Graduate Diploma graduates who are working towards registration with a professional or trade body
  • Require international students studying Level 8 qualifications to be in an area specified on the Long Term Skills Shortage list in order for their partner to be eligible for an open work visa, and in turn the partners’ dependent children to be eligible for fee-free domestic schooling
  • Remove the employer-assisted post-study work visas at all levels
  • All students who submitted a student visa application prior to 8 August 2018 will have their work rights assessed as per the old regulations


To kickstart your journey, we recommend foundation programs and university courses in institutions such as University of Waikato, Massey University, University of Auckland and University of Otago etc.


This will give you a better chance of fulfilling your dreams!


For more information on New Zealand’s post-study visa and study in New Zealand, please feel free to contact us at +65 63521121 or email us at Alternatively, you can fill up the enquiry form below.


Study Abroad, Think Global!