NS Deferment – What you need to know?

April 18, 2019 Administrator

Do you need to apply for NS deferment to study overseas? Firstly, please be aware that male citizens of Singapore (and if you remain committed to doing so!) are required to follow the Enlistment Act from age 13 onwards. Secondly, any breaches to the Enlistment Act and regulations on Exit Permit would lead to a fine or imprisonment. Some serious stuff here!


For all male Singaporeans who have yet to serve your NS obligations, you will be required to at least apply for an Exit Permit if you intend to study overseas for duration of 3 months or longer. NS deferment would also depends on your age and duration of the course you will be undertaking.


There are a few things you will need to take note of if you are looking to apply for NS deferment for overseas studies. We have listed some below for your information:


1. Age and duration of course

If you are between the age of 13 to 16.5 year old and seeking to study overseas for a duration of in between 3 months to less than 2 years, all you will need to do is to apply for an exit permit to seek for NS deferment. However if the course you are enrolling into is longer than 2 years, on top of the exit permit, a bond will need to be provided. For age above 16.5 seeking to study overseas for 3 months or longer,  both exit permit and bond will be required.


Related Read: Why Study in USA after O-levels in Singapore?


2. Level of education

Students with N levels, O levels, NITEC and Higher NITEC can be eligible to seek for NS deferment. Students who have already attained A-levels, Polytechnic Diploma or equivalent overseas education would not be eligible for NS deferment. NS deferment would not be approved for entry into universities.


ns deferment army backpack helmet

3. Bond for NS deferment

A bond is typically in the form of a banker’s guarantee provided by your parents. S$75,000 is the minimum your parents will need to provide. However, If 50% of your parents combined annual gross income exceeds S$75,000, they would have to provide the banker’s guarantee using the higher amount. For example, if your mum’s gross income is $600,000 and your dad’s gross income is $400,000, total would be $1,000,000. Your parents would have to post 50% of $1,000,000 or $500,000 as a banker’s guarantee. NS deferment would not be approved if the bond cannot be provided.


Related Read: What to do after your O-levels? JCs and Polys are not the only way


4. Acceptance into course

You will need to provide evidence (e.g letter of offer) that you have been accepted into the course that you are applying into. Usually, the evidence will accompany details such as the course of study, commencement and completion dates.


If you will like to know more about NS deferment, enquire with us at Global Study Abroad. We provide FREE education consulting for Singaporean students looking to study overseas. Let us help you with your overseas study options!


Get up! Get Out!

(Source: CMPB)


Enquiry Form